Friday, January 15, 2016

Day 15 - The Wolf

Let me start by reminding you why I started this blog.  I really had 3 goals.

1.  I wanted to make some friends.  And I'm beginning to do that.  Rachel has given me lots of encouragement.  (Hi Rachel!!!!)

2.  I wanted to join this challenge.  I watched year after year with envy as everyone started their projects.  So this year I decided to secretly join you guys!  (It's a secret from my family because my husband would probably blow a gasket if he found out---shhhh.  It's our little secret).

3.  I wanted some finishes while I work on my 1 project (ahem) which is a HAED.

You may have noticed most of my projects so far are pretty small.  I guess there are a couple that would be considered medium sized projects.  But there hasn't been anything big.  I planned it that way.  Not only did I want some finishes, I also didn't want to have a huge pile of guilt at the end of the year from unfinished projects.  And I had 15 picked out, but then I had to slide the wolf in there.

When my son was smaller I stitched several projects for him.  You know trucks, dinosaurs, etc.  Little boy things.  Then for a time he could care less about my stitching and didn't want me to stitch anything for him.  But he's watched me stitch the HAED and is fascinated with all the detail and the size.  I've never stitched anything like it.  So for months he's been saying, "Mom I want you to stitch something for me."  Then it went to "And I want a big detailed project like you are working on.  I don't want some wimpy thing."   Of course, my husband would pipe up with, "Well your Mom has to get this one finished first."  I had some time off at Thanksgiving and was able to stitch more than normal and he once again started his "when are you going to do my project?"  Well I looked over at him and said, "You haven't even picked out a project for me to do for you."  Yeah.  Guess what!  He picked out a project.  And not only did he pick it out, my husband went ahead and got it so it wouldn't go out of print, retired, etc.  I'm not supposed to be starting it, but how can I not when I've already started 14 others.

So the wolf got added to my starts.  And I know there is no way to get this finished before the end of this year (not for me anyway).  But I am hoping to have it done by the end of May 2017 or the beginning of June 2017.  I don't even know if that's possible.  Let me show you a picture of the finished piece:

The Guardian - Cross Stitch Kit

It's a Dimensions Gold Kit.  It says 16 X 20.  With lots of blended threads and half crosses, etc.  It's actually more intimidating to me than the HAED I'm working on.  I was beginning to think it wouldn't come in on time, but it came in around 2 days ago.  So I need to sort the threads and prepare the fabric edges.  I may only get a stitch or two in today, just so I can say I started it.  And it does have a name, I had just forgotten but knew it was a wolf design.  So the correct name is The Guardian.

What have I gotten myself into??????

Okay, don't laugh.  I have 3 little stitches to start:


I really just wanted to have at least a couple of stitches so I could say I started. 

So the starts are finished for me, now comes the hard part, trying to finish everything.   I do have a rotation plan I'm going to try out.  And to start with, I'm going to work on this project for the next two weeks.  Remember I'm working in secret, mostly on my lunch breaks.  I really am a little overwhelmed with this project, but I really want to do it for my son.



17 comments:

  1. And hello to you too! Firstly, congratulations on reaching the end of CJC! You've chosen very sensible starts which should be achievable during the year. Secondly, oh wow! I've admired The Guardian, and similar projects, for many years so am really pleased I will get to see it being stitched. I'll definitely be encouraging you all the way. Thirdly, don't worry, your blog secret is safe with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have found your blog through Rachel who mentioned you on her latest blog post. Wow, you chose some lovely projects for your Crazy Challenge and not all of them are small projects. Particularly this last one.
    You say Don't laugh! but I couldn't help but laughing when seeing your start on it, lol. But you are perfectly right - you started the wolf. :) And it's such a beautiful project that I would like to stitch it myself. I'll be following your progress on the wolf and all your other Crazy Challenge projects here on your blog. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I'm popping over because Rachel said something about a new blog. I just love seeing new blogs and getting to know someone new. So Hi! You have started some beautiful pieces already for your CJC. Great job! I look forward to cheering you along. I love the wolf! I work on HAEDs too. I look forward to seeing which one you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All projects, regardless of size and complexity, are completed one stitch at a time. Picking a starting point and just work it one little section at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be a beautiful wolf project. I also have a different dimensions wolf kit that I haven't yet started. Sorry don't recall the name and it isn't handy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I followed the link from Rachael's blog to here.
    Your stitching is lovely and it's great you participated in the challenge :) The wolf chart is huge but I guess once you start, you will understand how much time you need to devote. I have two dimensions gold collection kits and I think they are enough for my entire life :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo! I have that kit as well, but I haven't started it. I will enjoy seeing it grow. Would it help if I started it too? We could do a stitch-a-long if you like. I'm doing the insane 60 starts, so I can easily work it in. I recently finished the White Wolves kit which is similar, but was on black fabric. It should be much easier on the lighter beige is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have a stitch a long with you! I haven't seen the White Wolves kit but black is certainly hard to work with.

      Delete
  8. Your son picked a great chart! I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wolf looks really nice. It seems to have a lot of depth and details so hopefully is fun to stitch and watch come together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Popping over because of Rachel as well :). I love all of your projects but the wolf especially. My only finishes are both dimensions kits lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower here, what a stunning project - it is going to look amazing once it's complete, whenever that may be... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another friend of Rachel's here! She's a great publicist!
    I would follow you but you haven't added the Followers button yet, it is a little hidden on page two of the gadgets. Let me know if you would like any help there.
    Also, I run a SAL called Gifted Gorgeousness that your wolf would be perfect for, and several blogs each year.
    Feel free to pop over to my blog and sign up for anything you like the look of!
    Congratulation on completing the CJC too, I did the 31 projects last year and this year I'm attempting to finish them all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    Annie from Sweden here:) Love all your project starts, and the wolf is stunning! I totally understand your worry about that project though; I have several kits I bought and then when I received them and had a look at the chart and the threads I quickly put them away...far away...! I'm hoping that one day I feel confident enough, and will have gained enough stitching experience that I will breeze through it all...I wish LOL!! So I'm cheering you on for braving such a daunting project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo, I have that kit, too! It's so pretty! The half cross is really not so bad once you get in the groove with it. And sometimes even goes faster :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blame Rachael for me being here as well :)
    Love the wolf and look forward to watching him come to life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rachel sent me too! What a lovely blog. I love your Wolf design, it's so realistic. I also have a Dimensions kit and feel a bit daunted by it, but when you see them finished they are stunning.
    Good luck and I'm looking forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete